Rohu Fish Curry / Ruui Macher Jhol | How to make Bengali Fish Curry
Rohu Fish Curry / Rui Maacher Jhol – Known as one of the signature dishes from the ever-delicious Bengali cuisine, this spiced fish stew is truly a dish that has my heart. A simple recipe laden with flavours, but truly comforting and soul-fulfilling in a way that only some dishes can.
- Fry Pan
- Mixer Grinder
- Mixing Bowl
- 5-6 Rohu Bengali Fish
- 1 Onion (Sliced)
- 3 Green Chilies (Slit in 2)
- 1 tbps Mustard Seeds
- ½ Cup Curd
- 1 Tomato (Chopped)
- 2 Onions (Roughly Chopped)
- ½ tbps Turmeric Powder
- ½ tbps Coriander Powder
- ½ tbps Red Chilly Powder
- Salt (Per taste)
- ¾ tbps Mustard Oil for Cooking
- First of all marinate the fish with salt and turmeric and rest it for 15 mins.5-6 Rohu Bengali Fish, Salt, ½ tbps Turmeric Powder
- Take a fry pan and add 2-3 tbsp of Oil, I am using the same kadhai in which I will be making the gravy. You may use a frying pan to fry the fish.3/4 tbps Mustard Oil for Cooking
- Heat the oil on a high flame untill smoky.
- Once the oil is hot and smoky, add the marinated fish for frying, Fry the fish on a high flame.5-6 Rohu Bengali Fish
- Fry them on a high flame till golden brown, turn around occassionally to roast from all sides.
- While the fish is getting fried lets make the onion paste.Take a Mixer jar and add onion, green chillies and mustard seeds and grind it to a fine paste.1 Onion, 1 tbps Mustard Seeds
- Fish is fried and ready to be remove from the flame.
- In the same oil add some mustard seeds.1 tbps Mustard Seeds
- Now add finely sliced onions and green chilies and fry them until golden brown.2 Onions, 3 Green Chilies
- Once the onions are golden brown add the onion paste.
- Cook the onions paste until the water is reduced.
- Now add tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are soft and mushy, cover it with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes on a low medium flame.1 Tomato
- Add all dry masala like red chilly powder, turmeric and coriander powder and mix it well on a low flame.½ tbps Turmeric Powder, ½ tbps Coriander Powder, ½ tbps Red Chilly Powder
- Once the oil starts seperating add 1/2 cup curd and stir it continuously on a medium flame till it reaches the boiling point.Tip – Whenever we use curd in a recipe, keep stirring it continuosly until it boil to avoid curdling.½ Cup Curd
- Once it starts boiling add around 1/2 glass water or as per the consistency required for the gravy and let it boil on a high flame.
- As soon as it starts boiling add fried fish to the gravy.
- Cover it with a lid and cook for another 5-7 mins on a low flame.
- Check the gravy after 5 mins, Stir it once gently.
- The Rohu Fish Curry / Ruui Macher Jhol is ready to be served with hot rotis/steam rice.
Radhuni Kasundi Mustard Sauce 285ml£2.79
Pran Mustard Oil 1Litre£5.99
Fresh Turmeric/Haldi£1.99 – £6.99
Fresh Tomato£1.99 – £3.75
White Onions 1kg£1.69
Green Chillies£1.79 – £6.99
Rohu Whole Fish£19.99 – £39.99
Rajah Dhaniya Ground Coriander 100g/400g/1kg£0.99 – £4.99
Rajah Chilli Powder – EXTRA HOT 100g/400g/1kg£0.89 – £5.99