Lau Chingri / Bottle Gourd & Prawns
Lau Chingri (Bottle Gourd cooked with Prawns) is a quintessential Bengali delicacy cooked with no onion and no garlic.
- 1 Lau / Lauki / Bottle Gourd (Medium Size)
- 250 g Prawn
- 1 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp Cumin Seed
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Dried Red Chili (Broken)
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 tsp Ghee
- Wash under cold water and Peel the Bottle Gourd (Lau/Kodu)1 Lau / Lauki / Bottle Gourd
- After peeling the skin, cut Bottle Gourd or Lau into small rectangular pieces
- Clean and devein the Prawns with the outer shell intact.250 g Prawn
- Marinade Prawns with Turmeric Powder and little Salt.1 tsp Turmeric Powder, 1 tsp Salt
- Heat the Mustard Oil in a deep pan and fry Prawns in medium heat until those turn lightly brown.2 tbsp Mustard Oil
- Strain fried Prawns from the Oil and add Ghee to the same Pan.1 tsp Ghee
- Temper the Ghee and Oil mixture with Cumin Seed, Bay Leaf, and Dried Red Chili.1 tsp Cumin Seed, 1 Bay Leaf, 2 Dried Red Chili
- Now add chopped Bottle Gourd (Lau/Kodu) along with little turmeric powder and salt and cover the pan with a lid.1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Cook for around 10 minutes in medium flame and stir in between. Bottle gourd will release lots of water/juice and hence no need to add extra water.1 tbsp Ginger Paste
- Once the water dried, add sugar to the bottle gourd.1 tbsp Sugar
- Adjust the salt if required.1 tsp Salt
- Finally, add fried Prawns and give the Lau Chingri a thorough mix.
- Cook for a minute or two to get desired consistency.
- Serve Lau Chingri with steamed rice.
This dish is a bit on the sweeter side and generally served in the former part of Bengali meal, before Daal.
Please leave us a review for the recipe tried or any comments below for improvements.
Get 5% off voucher code by clicking on on link here.