Pabda Fish Bhuna
Pabda Fish Bhuna is one of the most renowned Fish Curry recipes. This dish is the amalgamation of fried Pabda fish with Tomatoes, green Chillies, Garlic and Onions in some ground spices and chopped Cilantros. This succulent and heavily flavoured dish go outstanding with steamed Basmati rice.
- 250 g Pabda Fish
- 2 Onions (Thin and Long)
- 4 Garlic (Minced)
- 2 Medium Tomatoes (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Whole Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 2 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 1 Green Chili (For Garnish)
- Fresh Coriander (For Garnish)
- Oil As Needed
- First, we take off the head of this fish. I didn't do too well with this! Cut the head of at an angle and clean out the innards using a sharp knife.250 g Pabda Fish
- Rub the fish well in 1tsp salt and 1/2tsp turmeric and allow to marinate in a colander for a minimum of half an hour.2 tsp Salt, ½ tsp Turmeric
- Deep fry the fish for 1-2 minutes in very hot oil. Set aside.Oil
- In a skillet or pan big enough to fit all the fish in one layer, add 1/4 cup of oil, the sliced onions and minced garlic. Saute this till very lightly brown.4 Garlic, 2 Onions
- Add the tomatoes and spices. Saute this on high heat till the tomatoes slightly mash and release some of their water.2 Medium Tomatoes, 1 tsp Whole Cumin Seeds, 1 tsp Ground Coriander Powder, 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder, ½ tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- At this point, add the fish in a single layer. Using a spoon, take some of the onion and tomato masala and spread it over the fish. Turn the heat to low, cover and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and green chilli. Serve immediately.1 Green Chili, Fresh Coriander
Pabda fish has a very delicate and soft texture, unlike many other fishes. Goes best with plain white basmati rice but it would go quite well with a crispy naan!
Buy all the ingredients you need for this recipe by adding products below.
Please leave us a review for the recipe tried or any comments below for improvements.
Get 5% off voucher code by clicking on on link here.
Natco Ground Coriander (Dhaniya) 100g/400g/1kg£0.79 – £2.99
KTC Pure Sunflower Oil 1Ltr£1.49
Fresh Turmeric/Haldi£1.99 – £6.99
Fresh Tomato£1.99 – £3.75
Red Onions 1kg£2.99
Fresh Garlic 1kg£4.99
Green Chillies£1.79 – £6.99
Crown Pabda Whole Block 500g£6.50
IBCO Pabda Whole Block 500g£5.99 – £14.97