How to Make Hyderabadi Biryani
Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani is one of the most popular Biryanis in the Indian subcontinent. It’s the Cooking Method that makes it so special and amazingly Delicious. This exquisite Biryani with layers of Rice, Spices, Herbs and Chicken or Mutton is much easier to make than you think!
Marinade for Chicken or Mutton
- 8-10 Garlic Cloves Chopped
- 3 pieces Fresh Ginger Chopped
- ¼ tsp Ground Turmeric
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1-2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1-2 Green Chilies Optional
- ½ cup Coriander Leaves Chopped
- ½ cup Mint Leaves Chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ cup Yogurt
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Chicken (with bone) or Mutton Cut into Medium Sized Pieces
Biryani Masala Powder
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 3-4 Cardamom Pods
- ¾ Black Cumin Seeds (Sha Jeera)
- 12 Black Peppercorns
- 4 cups Basmati Rice
- 4 Cloves
- 3 Cardamom Pods
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Star Anise
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 Large Onions Finely Sliced
- A pinch Saffron
- ½ cup Lukewarm Milk
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 2 tsp Ghee
- A handful Coriander Leaves to Garnish
- Raita to Serve
- Mirch ki Salan to Serve
Marinate Chicken or Mutton:
- Place all the ingredients for marination – ginger, garlic, turmeric, coriander, cumin, garam masala, red chili powder, green chilies (if using), coriander leaves, mint leaves, lemon juice, yogurt and salt – in a food processor. Process to form a smooth paste.8-10 Garlic Cloves, 3 pieces Fresh Ginger, ¼ tsp Ground Turmeric, ½ tsp Cumin Seeds, 1 tbsp Ground Coriander, 1 tbsp Garam Masala, 1-2 tsp Red Chili Powder, 1-2 Green Chilies, ½ cup Coriander Leaves, ½ cup Mint Leaves, 1 tbsp Lemon Juice, ½ cup Yogurt, Salt
- Rub this paste onto the chicken (or mutton) pieces. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight if time permits.1 Chicken (with bone) or Mutton
Biryani Masala Powder:
- Place all the ingredients for the masala powder – cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin and peppercorns – in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. Grind it to a coarse powder. Set aside.4-5 Cloves, 1 Cinnamon Stick, 3-4 Cardamom Pods, ¾ Black Cumin Seeds, 12 Black Peppercorns
- Rinse rice under cold running water until water runs clear. Soak in water for 30 minutes.4 cups Basmati Rice
- Boil a large pot of salted water. Add rice, cloves, cardamom, bay leaves, star anise and oil. Cover with a tight fitting lid. Bring to a boil again. Lower the heat to medium, and simmer until rice is half cooked. Drain and set aside.4 cups Basmati Rice, 4 Cloves, 3 Cardamom Pods, 2 Bay Leaves, 1 Star Anise
- Heat ghee and oil in a medium frying pan over medium high heat. Add onions. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes or until browned. Add sugar. Cook, stirring, for another 1-2 minutes or until onions are caramelized. Set aside. Reserve 2 tbsp of the onions to garnish.2 tsp Oil, 2 Large Onions
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee and 1 tbsp oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken (or mutton) and biryani masala powder. Fry, stirring occasionally, for about 5-6 minutes. (If using mutton, cook for 7-8 minutes). Make sure chicken is arranged in one layer.
- Add the next layer – half of rice, 1 tsp ghee and half of caramelized onion. Scatter over half of chopped coriander leaves. Pour in half of saffron milk. Repeat layer with rest of rice, 1 tsp ghee, and rest of caramelized onions. Scatter over rest of the chopped coriander leaves. Pour in rest of saffron milk.A pinch Saffron, ½ cup Lukewarm Milk
- Cover the casserole with a very tight fitting lid. This is very important as we don’t want steam to escape. To ensure the lid is really tight, Cover the casserole with aluminium foil and then place the lid on top.
- Place the casserole on a tawa. Cook biryani over high heat for 5 minutes, then over medium heat for 15 minutes, and finally over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Let it stand for 10 minutes before opening the lid.
- Garnish with the reserved caramelized onions, and more chopped coriander leaves if you like. Serve with raita.
It’s important that you use a heavy bottomed pan to make this biryani. Otherwise the masala at the bottom of the pan will burn and the final dish will get a burned taste.
Buy all the ingredients you need for this recipe by adding products below.
Please leave us a review for the recipe tried or any comments below for improvements.
Get 5% off voucher code by clicking on on link here.
Halal Lamb Leg Boneless 1kg£18.99
Heera Pure Butter Ghee 500g£7.50
KTC Extended Life Vegetable Oil 1Ltr£4.99
Radhuni Garam Masala Powder 100g£1.69
Fresh Turmeric/Haldi£1.99 – £6.99
Fresh Ginger 1kg£5.99
Fresh Garlic 1kg£4.99
Halal Chicken Leg (Aarons Fresh) 1kg gross.£3.79